Using different applications in our daily lives has become an almost unconscious act. We check our bank balance, we order food, and we can even get a pre-diagnosis of an ailment.
Our world resolves around apps, without a doubt
For this reason, application development is a technological field that is growing by leaps and bounds. As a result, development companies know more and more areas where applications find a space. therefore, they need to be prepared for these challenges.
Hypernova Labs do not lose sight of this fascinating scenario for a second. Instead, it keeps up with the technology to offer its customers the right solutions according to their needs.
Application development is a job that requires dedication and being in tune with the requirements and needs of the users. This is how different technical aspects come into play regarding costs, the time necessary, and accessibility. These determine the different types of applications that can be found in the market.
One of the essential elements when choosing which type of application fits the solutions required by the user is the platform to be used. Therefore, we can define the platform as the virtual space where the application will be executed to satisfy the needs for which it was designed.
Then, according to the platform, we will have different types of applications. So let’s see each one separately, as well as there strengths and weaknesses.
They are developed using the language of the operating system of the device in which they will operate. They are designed specifically for one platform and do not allow their installation on another. A simple example is those applications designed for smartphones with specifications for Android or IOS systems.
The development of native applications offers the following advantages:
- First, they offer a better user interface. Second, they provide optimal integration with the functionalities of the mobile device (Bluetooth, camera, sensors, microphone, etc.) and make the navigation process a pleasant and straightforward experience.
- Higher performance thanks to the of the operating system for which they were developed. The user has the benefits of the application and all those derived from the operating system on which the device works.
- Significant improvement in response time.
- Allows the option of push notifications, expanding the possibilities of accessing new potential customers through offers on new services.
- Constant updates of the application are possible and respond to user feedback.
- No internet connection is required for operating as they are downloaded directly to the device.
- It is possible to offer them through the corresponding App Store, increasing their visibility in the market.
On the other hand, there are some disadvantages of developing native application:
- They require more time for development and higher investment.
- The functionalities of the application are not the same on all platforms.
- The code used for each forum is unique and cannot be reused for another platform.
In response to these characteristics, other applications have been developed that’s seek to extend the scope of the applications and their strengths. In this case, we refer to Multiplatform applications.
A multiplatform application is developed in a programming language the allows it to be exported to any platform or device with minor changes. It has a unique code that adapts to most devices.
When we talk about multiplatform applications, it is essential to set aside web applications or Web Apps. They are multiplatform applications because of their features but do not require downloading to a device. They run through the different existing browsers but lack the functionalities of mobile applications in general.
Cross- platform applications, like native applications, have many advantages that have won the public’s preference:
- Having a reusable code, adapting to different platforms, and integrating functionalities are more significant.
- Development and implementation costs are lower on average.
- The user experience and the look and feel of the application are the same on all devices.
- Shorter development time, so launch dates are easier to program and adjust to a predetermined schedule.
- They are essentially Mobile first as their design is friendly on all mobile devices.
But not everything is plain sailing, and there are some disadvantages or drawbacks with this type of application:
- Since they do not have access to all the functionality of the devices, their functions may be limited to some extent. This translates into lower performance compared to native applications.
- Even though they are designed for all types of platforms, they require time to validate their operating before launching them to the market.
What to choose?
It is possible that, as a customer, you may have reasonable doubts when deciding on a type of application: native or cross-platform. But it would be best if you did not worry because we will give you the keys to determine.
When evaluating an application, the concepts of time, cost, performance, and accessibility are basic. Instead, consider the performance, the expected user experience, and the accessibility offered by each of these options and compare your objectives.
Define your initial budget and review it in the light of each of the developments: Is it enough? Am I willing to raise it if the growth and scope of my objectives demand it? And don’t forget that time is a decisive factor. So put on the table the dates estimated in your plan for the development and launch of the application and check if the chosen application complies with them.
Finally, the most important tip: seek the advice of professionals in the area that offer you a broad and complete vision of the possibilities of each development and how they work based on your objectives. Always make informed decisions.
Hypernova Labs is a company in love with developing solutions and satisfied customers. For this reason, I will not hesitate to offer you all the advice you require when making such a decision. As a result, your business will deeply appreciate having the right developers for your projects, and your customers will have the best experience. We are waiting for you with a coffee to design your future without haste but without pause.